Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Most "Adventurous" Day

Why is it the most adventurous day...?

Remembering I just had my referral letter from my gynae early that morning on 23rd Jan 08, after the checkup that very day, I went back my parents' place to rest, so that my family could help me to babysit my elder son at the same time.

As ordered by the gynae, to have full bed rest, I didn't go down of the bed other than going to the washroom... So all I can do, only NAPS.

Since 2nd trimester, frequent urination was considered common for me. But, I started to feel strange by the evening. I kept have thinking of having diarrhoea as my tummy was cramping, as if turning and tossing every half an hour. My first thought was I could have eaten wrong food.

The pain started to get more intense... Could it be real labor contractions...? I only experienced Braxton Hick contractions which are fake contractions that only occur a couple times in a day. But, the contractions I had this time was almost once every 10mins... It was around 7pm+.

My parents were still on their way back home from work. & I never experienced real contractions before so I was in a dilemma if it's going be a labor. So I continued to wait and monitor... By 8.30pm, the pain area stretched from tummy till whole hip area. This time, I confirmed it's really REAL contractions. However, I'm still very calm, not feeling afraid or excited yet. I called my mother to tell her about the pain and symptoms, her answer was "Aiyo, why only say now, you are going to give birth!"

They rushed home and I got my bag and letter ready. By the time I reached KKH, it was almost 10pm. I went to the reception, the nurse asked me "Why?" When I replied I had contractions every 5mins and 35weeks pregnant, she got alert and got someone to send me to the delivery ward immediately.

My hubby accompanied me throughout.. I had CTG for baby's heartbeat rate, it showed baby doing well from the contractions. But good things don't last, my blood pressure raised to 200plus. I started to feel giddy. The nurses sensed that it's not right, they called for the doctor. The doctor did an ultrasound scan on my baby, it showed baby started to have lesser movements and heartbeat rate going down. There was a sign of lack of oxygen for both baby and me. I was put on with oxygen mask. I started to be incoherent, my contractions were sooo intense and it came once every 2-3mins. It was really really painful.. I opted for natural birth, but I was only 1cm dilated.

My blood pressure continued to raise, when the doctor realised I had preeclampsia, other 2 doctors were called in to examine on me. They had discussions and planned to give me an emergency C-section to prevent our conditions from worsening. So I asked for an epidural C-section (only lower body can't move but in awake situation). It's so urgent that all the nurses and doctors rushed into procedures just to get me op. It was already 11pm+. By then, I felt so weak and seeing the worried faces of the doctors, nurses and hubby's, my only thought was "Save my baby".

The "funny part" came during this delivery process. The anesthesiologist and nurses tested on my reactivity just before I was pushed into the operation theatre. Oh No! I could raise my leg. He said to me in a nervous tone, "I'm sorry, you have to go to sleep, we don't have time, it's really an emergency case. We have to deliver the baby as soon as possible." In the theatre, they wanted everything fast but turned out to be a mess. They dropped things and couldn't find this and that. Though the contractions pain was killing me, I told them to keep calm. & soon, I was really into deep sleep.

No comments: